Saturday 23 June 2012

Chicken, tomato and flageolet beans

As I've mentioned before I try to replace simple carbs with beans or complex carbs for dinner. This is a fab meal when you need a filling but healthy dinner.

It's also all made in one pot and doesn't take that long to make. Butter beans also work well.

Ingredients

Serves two

2 chicken breasts
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tins of tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tin flageolet beans
A handful of green olives
A beef stock cube
Seasoning
A large bunch of basil, torn
A glug of balsamic vinegar
Parmesan, grated

In a heavy based frying pan start by browning the chicken on each side in a little oil. Add the onions and once softened add the garlic. After a few minutes add the remaining ingredients apart from the balsamic and basil. Add a wine glass full of water. If the pan has a lid put it on. Turn the heat down and cook for about 20 mins. Check the chick is done. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and most of the basil. Finish with the remaining basil and grated Parmesan. Serve with a green salad.

Here is the finished dish.





I am going to submit this recipe as part of the New June Herbs on Saturday blog challenge.



I love herbs and a you can see from previous posts I cook with then a lot. Since I've moved I have a small garden and am now the proud owner of a little herb garden. It's not much and I've focused on pretty standard herbs, but it's mine and I've been caring for it and watching it flourish and I'm proud of it (I have tried growing some Thai basil but as I type the little seedlings are curling up and giving up).





No comments:

Post a Comment