Monday 19 September 2011

Healthy Curry

I've decided to try and write a new post everyday for a week, so this is day two of seven. I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment and decided I fancied a curry so adapted a Madhur Jaffrey recipe.

I started by dry roasting the spices (i.e. in a pan with no oil). I used 1 tsp cumin seeds and 2tsp coriander seeds. Removed from the pan and ground them to a power and added 1tsp turmeric and 1tsp of garam masala, 2tsp of mustard seeds, about 10 whole cardamom, 10 cloves and a couple of inches of cinnamon stick (just watch out for the whole spices as you're eating it) and fried for a little longer before removing them from the pan. In a food processor whiz an onion, 3 cloves of garlic, a couple of inches of ginger and a chilli into a paste. Put the paste in the frying pan (again with no oil) and cook until a little browned. Add the spice mixture, your choice of veg to the pan along with some water and half a tin of tomatoes. Cook the mixture for about 40 mins. I used mushrooms, cauliflower, green beans, onion and broccoli. You could also add chicken.





I served it with a simple raita and a hot cabbage and carrot salad (shredded cabbage and carrot fried in a little oil with a tablespoon of mustard seeds and finished with the juice of half a lemon).

No comments:

Post a Comment